I like this time of year. The newness of it. It’s so nice to have a whole new year stretching ahead with a clean slate and a chance to begin anew.
January is a good month for writers. The world is quieter after the busyness of the holiday season. People seem more focused both at work and at home. There is less opportunity for distraction and more time for writing.
I recently saw a post on a New York Public Library blog that mentioned that a lot of authors throughout history have been exercise buffs. It makes sense that exercise would be a good way to not only stay fit, but to clear the mind and increase circulation and perhaps even improve the creative process!
Many of us have set new diet and fitness goals for ourselves in the new year. According to the Mayo Clinic, (www.mayoclinic.org)there are six strategies for successful weight loss and a boost to your health.
1. Make a long-term commitment to your personal fitness goals because they often require permanent changes.
2. Find your inner motivation to be responsible for your own diet and fitness behavior and be accountable to yourself.
3. Set realistic weight loss and exercise goals which will keep you motivated and help you be successful.
4. Find healthier foods to eat that you really enjoy.
5. For the best fitness results, find a way to get active that you enjoy and then stay active.
6. Change your perspective so that healthy habits become a permanent way of life.
My Fitbit is reminding me that it’s time to get up and move! Wishing you much success in your fitness and other goals and resolutions for the new year!